There are many different types of cosmetic surgeries (including surgical and non-surgical procedures) offered by surgeons worldwide.
If you’ve heard or read about it somewhere and are eager to learn more about it, you have arrived at the perfect place. Here we will be discussing some of the most popular cosmetic surgeries everyone should know about, along with their benefits and risks.
Over the years, more and more people aim for a major transformation and improvement in their lives. That’s why the demand for various types of cosmetic surgeries has increased compared to the past years.
You will be amazed to know that women are no longer the only persons to have a cosmetic procedure. Men, too, are contributing to the rise in procedures.
You are free to choose any type of cosmetic plastic surgery for you. However, it’s advised to consult your doctor first and determine whether you are a good candidate for the procedure.
Popular Plastic Surgery Types
There are many different plastic surgery types, some of the most popular ones are listed below.
Know about each of the procedures including their prominent benefits and risks and then make a decision about whether or not you should undergo any procedure.
Liposuction is a procedure that removes stubborn fat deposits that don’t respond to diet and exercise.
- Inner knees
- Necklines and area under the chin
- Upper arms
What are the benefits of liposuction?
- Removes fat safely
- Improves health due to fat loss
- Reduces cellulite or improves the appearance of cellulite
- Boosts self-esteem
- Chisels areas of the body which even healthy diet and regular exercising don’t seem to impact
What are the risks of liposuction?
- Complications from anesthesia
- Uneven fat removal
- Changes in skin sensations, numbness
- Fluid accumulation
- Reactions to lidocaine
- Burns from instruments
- Damage to blood vessels, nerves, lungs, and abdominal organs
- Fat embolism
- Blood clots in the deep veins
2. Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation, also called augmentation mammaplasty, is the procedure performed to increase the size or change the breast’s shape using saline or silicone-filled implants.
What are the benefits of breast augmentation?
- It is a long-term solution for achieving an ideal figure.
- Breast implants add volume to the breast, making it appear better.
- Boosts self-confidence as it provides self-assurance of great appearance both in and out of clothing.
- It helps enhance the body’s natural curves to create a shape that is proportionate to the rest of the body.
What are the risks of breast augmentation?
- Breast pain
- Scar tissue that changes the shape of the breast implant (capsular contracture)
- Changes in breast and nipple sensation
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Connective tissue disease, reproductive problems, and breast cancer
Rhinoplasty is one of the most common plastic surgery types. It is a procedure that reshapes or repairs the nose. Some people undergo rhinoplasty for cosmetic reasons, while others may have a medical reason such as birth defects or difficult breathing.
What are the benefits of rhinoplasty?
- Increases or decreases the nose size
- Reduces the bridge
- Reduces the nasal tip
- It gives the nostrils a new shape
- Have a positive impact on overall facial aesthetic
- Improves the balance and harmony between other facial features
- Corrects problems related to a deviated septum
- Improves breathing
What are the risks of rhinoplasty?
- Complications from anesthesia
- Discoloration in the skin
- Difficulty breathing
- Improper healing or noticeable scarring
- Septal perforation
- Dissatisfaction with results
- Complications requiring a secondary rhinoplasty procedure
4. Tummy Tuck
A tummy tuck, also called abdominoplasty, is used to improve the shape of the abdomen. It removes excess skin from the abdominal region and tightens the skin that remains. Abdominoplasty is generally performed on women who have gained excess skin after being pregnant or after losing considerable weight after bariatric surgery.
The ideal candidate for abdominoplasty does not have excess fat deposits in the abdomen to remove but too much skin hanging from the abdomen.
What are the benefits of a tummy tuck?
- It helps restore a flat tummy that is firm and well set.
- It helps trim the waist to the desired size
- Eradicates unwanted skin lesions and skin imperfections that exist on the skin.
- It can be done along with liposuction or other cosmetic procedures to maximize the benefits.
- It helps fade pregnancy stretch marks and also improves the quality of the skin.
- Boosts psychological well being
What are the risks of a tummy tuck?
- Poor or slow healing of the wound
- Fluid buildup under the skin
- Numbness or color transformations of the belly skin
- Poor result, requiring another surgery
- Pain that continues from the surgery
Also Read: CAN COSMETIC SURGERY HARM YOUR SKIN?
5. Eyelid Surgery
In eyelid surgery (also called Blepharoplasty), drooping upper eyelids and sacs below the eyes are corrected by removing extra fat, skin, and muscles. It can also be done to improve vision in patients where the eyelids tend to obstruct the vision.
What are the benefits of blepharoplasty?
- Improves field of vision
- Boosts self-confidence
- Encourages more positive social interactions
- It makes the eyes look more rested and alert
What are the risks of blepharoplasty?
- Dry, irritated eyes
- Infection and bleeding
- Noticeable scarring
- Difficulty closing your eyes or other eyelid problems
- Skin discoloration
- Temporarily blurred vision or, in rare cases, loss of eyesight
- Injury to eye muscles
- The need for a follow-up surgery
- Risks associated with anesthesia and blood clots
A facelift is a surgical solution to the sagging and wrinkles that accompany aging. It tightens the skin of the face to provide a more youthful appearance by softly pulling the skin tighter, smoothing deep lines, and reducing sagging.
What are the benefits of a facelift?
- Skin looks healthier.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles, thus making the skin tighter and smoother.
- Rejuvenate the skin and helps restore a youthful glow.
- Reduced skin sagging which can eliminate the progression of jowls hanging along the jawline
- Boosts self-confidence
- Reduces dependence on expensive cosmetic products to get rid of signs of aging.
What are the risks of a facelift?
- Skin discoloration
- Problems with wound healing can lead to scarring of the skin tissue
- Tingling and numbness of the skin
- Excessive bleeding, swelling, or infection near the incision site
- Facial nerve injury
- Anesthesia-related risks
7. Breast Lift
Breast lift, also called mastopexy, is an effective treatment for sagging or poorly shaped breasts. It restructures the breasts for a splendid experience. People can choose to undergo this procedure after substantial weight loss or pregnancy that leaves the breasts looking deflated.
What are the benefits of a breast lift?
- Raises and firms the breasts
- Improves a person’s figure by providing a more youthful breast profile
What are the risks of a breast lift?
- Scarring of the breast, which fades on its own within 1 – 2 years
- Changes in breast or nipple sensation
- Difficulty breastfeeding
- Partial or total loss of the nipples
- Asymmetry or irregularity in the shape and size of the breasts
8. Forehead Lift
A forehead lift is quite similar to a facelift; It pulls the skin of the forehead tighter to eradicate wrinkles and smooth creases. This fixes forehead furrows, hooded eyelids, drooping eyebrows, and frown lines. The eyebrows are also lifted for a more vigilant and youthful appearance.
What are the benefits of forehead lift?
- Smooth forehead wrinkles
- Restore a youthful arch to the eyebrows
- Removes excess skin
- Reduces the appearance of sagging upper eyelids
- Elevate and reposition the brow line along the natural brow ridge
- Smooth the appearance of a furrowed brow
- Improves the appearance of “crow’s feet” wrinkles at the corner of the eyes
What are the risks of forehead lift?
- Hair loss
- Eyebrow movement problems
- Scar formation
- Sensation loss
Dermabrasion is an aggressive procedure that uses a specialized tool that gently scrapes away the top layer of the skin. It literally rubs out all wrinkles and blemishes. Once the outer or top layer of the skin is pulled away, the area heals, and the new skin replaces the old. The end result is usually a smoother-looking skin.
What are the benefits of dermabrasion?
- Evens skin tone
- Reduces fine lines
- Deep cleans pores
- Brightens complexion
- Enhances smoothness
What are the risks of dermabrasion?
- Swelling of the skin
- Skin redness, similar to sunburn
- A burning or stinging sensation
- Increased sensitivity to light
10. Hair Transplantation
Hair transplantation, also called hair restoration, is done to enhance the appearance of baldness. In this procedure, hair is shifted from a region of thick growth to the bald area. In a single session, over a thousand hair follicles can be moved. Some people may need multiple sessions of hair transplantation to achieve the desired results. The hairs which are moved are permanent, which implies that no long-term care is required. Most hair transplants lead to successful hair growth after the procedure.
What are the benefits of hair transplantation?
- Natural hair regrowth
- Pain and scar-free
- Minimal downtime
- Cheaper in the long run
What are the risks of hair transplantation?
- Bleeding and swelling of the scalp
- Thinning of pre-existing hair
- Keloid scarring (an abnormal scar that develops beyond the boundary of the original site of a skin injury)
- Lost grafts