Waking up in the morning to 5-6 strands of their precious hair lying on the pillow is a dreadful moment for every woman around the globe. About 40% of women of all ages suffer from hair loss. Be it while combing your hair or washing, most of us notice our strand fluttering all around us. Scientists have come up with several reasons why all women on reaching the age of forty suffer from terrible hair loss. Some of them are:
- Protein Deficiency: Proteins are necessary for the proper replacement of dead cells and the production of new ones. The hair protein keratin is a major component of our nails too. Protein deficient diet is the reason why many young girls suffer from hair loss. An adequate amount of proteins are required for the proper health of hair follicles in order to produce stronger and denser strands of hair.
- Pregnancy and Childbirth: During and after pregnancy, the body goes through drastic hormonal changes. It is the time when the body has high levels of estrogen which not only promote the baby’s growth, but also the mother’s. The hair grows thicker and stronger during these months. It doesn’t really sound like a problem, does it? But it does become one when the estrogen level remains the same even after delivery thus resulting in adverse effects on hair.
- Contraceptive Pills: Contraceptive pills again lead to a change in the body’s natural hormonal balance of estrogen leading to hair loss. Many women do not follow a proper routine or brand of pills, which leads to more imbalances in the body. Thus, hormone-induced hair loss is one of the most common reasons for hair loss in women.
- Particular Medications: Several medicines like antibiotics, antidepressants, anti-clotting, and cholesterol-lowering drugs pose side effects like hair loss. Besides, women on tumour and cancer medications have a much-increased level of hair loss. Though hair loss due to medications can’t be prevented, it is always advisable to visit the doctor.
- Dandruff: Dandruff is the most common cause of hair loss across the globe. Dandruff is mainly caused due to an itchy and dry scalp which sheds bits of it everywhere. One in every 5 women suffers from dandruff. It is mainly due to faulty habits and improper care of the scalp and hair. Dandruff may lead to low or immense hair fall depending upon the extent. It also leads to eye infections in many cases. Several medications are available in the form of shampoo and conditioners for the treatment of dandruff.
- Stress: The risk factor behind 95% of the world’s ailments and diseases, stress is a mental condition that affects people irrespective of their age. Be it the stress of the workplace or taking care of the household, or even the grief, the emotional state of mind affects each and every aspect of our body. Stress and anxiety lead to the degeneration of cells, increase the risk of neurological and cardiovascular diseases and promote the production of cancer cells. They inhibit the proper growth of hair follicles leading to active shedding of hair. Stress can even lead to extreme weight loss and depression.
- Faulty Hairstyles: Many women challenge their scalp and hair by wearing uncomfortable and tight hairstyles. This causes traction alopecia. Too tight hairstyles not only cause pain in the scalp but also lead to the thinning of the hairline. It is commonly noticed that girls with tight ponies have their hairline shifted further beyond their forehead. It causes the weakening of hair follicles and prevents the growth of hairs and the shedding of the rest. It is also advised not to pull the hair too tight while combing and opening.
- Heat Styling: Many women are addicted to temporary hair straightening and curling right before a party. Heat destroys the hair protein and has visible effects on the scalp too. Hot tools cause thermal damaging to hair shafts and make them break easily. Too often the application of heat leads to extreme hair weakening and loss.
- Hair Processing: Incessant hair spas, chemical procedures and perms pose harsh effects on the hair shaft as well as follicles and scalp. Chemicals used for permanent straightening and curling are excessively harmful and may lead to permanent hair loss. This is the reason why the hair appears comparatively thinner after months of straightening or spas. Chemicals also destroy hair follicles and prevent their growth.
- Hypothyroidism: Sometimes, it is also known as the underactive thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is a gland which plays an important role in the body and is responsible for producing hormones, namely thyroxine and triiodothyronine, which are important for metabolism, growth, and development. When the thyroid gland fails to produce sufficient thyroid hormone, this condition is known as hypothyroidism. Thyroid hormones are important for growth and development and lack of these hormones cause hair loss.
- Diabetes mellitus: It is a metabolic condition which is characterized by hyperglycemia or high blood glucose level in the blood. It occurs when the pancreas fails to produce sufficient insulin or when the body fails to use insulin efficiently. Insulin is a hormone that regulates blood glucose level. The uncontrolled sugar level in the blood affects the blood circulation and when blood circulation in the body has affected the functioning of hair follicles is also affected. As a result, it makes hair unhealthy and prone to fall.
- Autoimmune disorders: The immune system in the body is defined as a defence system in the body but autoimmune disorder occurs when the immune system is unable to protect the body against bacteria, virus, and other foreign invaders. Autoimmune disorders are more likely to make hair follicles weak which increase the risk of hair loss.
- Lack of oil: Regular oiling is important for hair health. Warm oil massage is an important step to get healthy locks and prevent hair loss. Regular warm oil massage has multiple benefits. It not only prevents hair fall, but it also prevents the development of many problems that are associated with the scalp. Evidence suggests that dry hair are prone to fall. Warm oil massage prevents the hair to become dry. Also, oil massages improve the circulation of blood which is beneficial for the hair. Oil makes the hair manageable.
Tags: hair loss vitamins, hair loss remedies, female hair loss treatment, random hair loss, illnesses that cause hair loss